Tuesday, April 17, 2012

By the dawn's early light

"Oh-o, say can you see, by the dawn's early light..."

The opening lines of our National anthem, although not the most descriptive of the poem by Francis Scott Key, have always painted such beautiful colors in my mind.

This morning, after nights of interrupted, restless sleep, I awoke with the very start of the dawn, when the sky is just slightly bluer than the black outline of the trees outside my window. I watched the sky lighten and brighten for over an hour, feeling a mixture of contentedness and inflamed inspiration, so fortunate to have witnessed the magic of an uncontrived beauty in our often over-processed and manufactured world.

At one point the thought to grab my camera flitted by, but I made no move to retrieve it. I suppose I knew subconsciously that any attempt to capture the colors, the mood would be nearly impossible; it was as if the dawn had been painted for me in that moment, only those moments, exactly as it was supposed to be seen.

I suppose I could attempt to describe the colors to you, Reader, the darkest of navy, the richest of cobalts, the truest cerulean, the lightest blue-butter-cotton sky, but such injustice I would do to you and the glory witnessed. My truest and best advice: see the dawn on a clear Spring morn, and hope to be as inspired as I.

"My profession is to always find God in nature." - Henry David Thoreau

"This is the true joy in life - being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy." - George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment